Follow Us

Monday, July 15, 2013

My Romance With Water


Before writing the book, 'I Thirst," I had often wondered  why I love water more than the ordinary. Every forms of water fascinated me; waterfalls, rivers, seas, lakes, lagoons. I love to swim in rivers and seas from a child. At nights I enjoy falling  asleep to the soft, soothing,  sounds of waterfall CDS.  I discovered  the reason why I love water in all shapes and forms,the moment I began writing the book,"I Thirst." Eureka!

I began my love affair with water from a very tender age. At the age of three I went to reside with my grand-mother in Bath, St Thomas, Jamaica. During those days we did not have running water or city in our homes. We received water from rain or from the river. I remember when my cousins and I used to go down to the river to fetch water for drinking and cooking.

Drinking water was stored in earthen pitchers. This kept the water very cool and refreshing. We washed our clothes in nearby rivers. We also swam and bathed in nearby rivers. At the corner of our home we placed large tinned barrels called drums that caught the water that poured down from the zinc roof. This was the fun part. I believe my romance with water began here. I loved the feel of the cool water as it poured down from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. When it rained, I used to put on my bathing suit and stand at the end of the roof where the water poured down. I jumped. I laughed. I sang as the water poured down. My body felt good. I felt clean as the water washed over me. It felt so good I did not want it to stop. I loved the smell of the rain and the taste of the rain water.

Washing day was always a delight to me. I jumped for joy when my older cousins and my aunt would announce that, "Today is washing day." Wash day meant that we would travel a mile and a half to the Bath Fountain. Bath Fountain is located in Bath, St Thomas. Bath Fountain is a tourist attraction. People from around the world traveled there for excursions, retreats, honeymoon, etc.  Bath Fountain is a historical place
located at the foothills of the John Crow Mountains.  Bath Fountain is known for its healing properties. As a child I was told that the baths were discovered in the 17th century by a runaway slave suffering from ulcers in his legs. He stumbled upon the springs and washed his wounded limbs in the water. The next day he noticed that his leg began to heal rapidly. The news of this healing fountain spread quickly and soon the spring was named "The Bath of St. Thomas the Apostle."
You may read more about my love for water in the book,'I Thirst."

No comments:

Post a Comment